Monday, November 23, 2009

Failures ~ Being Thankful Day 4

No matter how smart you get or how many lessons you learn there are still times when you do something stupid. I always think of "Meet the Robinsons" where the frog and the dinosaur say, "Master I don't know how well this plan was thought through."  I guess in a way I am licking my own wounds. We went roller-skating on Sunday.  It was Jason and Mia's first time.  It also didn't take long for Mia to tire of having wheels on her feet and slowly inching her way around the rink.  So instead of saying no to her request I said okay and picked her up and we started inching our way a little faster around the rink.
Now how long have I been a mom? How many times have I had adrenaline rushing through my body over the safety of my children and making sure they are okay, fed, loved, that they get enough exercise, or read enough books to exercise their brains, and the list goes on.  Of course I wasn't going very fast, but I could tell that I was about to tumble.  I braced myself for the oncoming pain for both my bottom and my ego.  Ouch! It hurt.  Mia was fine.  I made sure we fell backward and she landed on my stomach.  My little sweetheart was still a little shaken from just falling and kept saying, "Mom, you fell." I reassured her I was okay.  The owner, who goes to our church and is sort of the "watchdog" came over to see how we were doing and reminded me that I shouldn't be carrying her with skates on.  All those feelings of stupidity, "duh!", and embarrassment washed over me.  Not to mention my tailbone was throbbing.  For some reason I continually have failures in public for the entertainment of everyone else.
Another example is when Jason, Mia, and I were at the mall.  Jason takes off out of Target and I thought it would be easier to just run and grab him instead of trying to run and grab him with Mia in tow.  So I left Mia in the cart and dashed after him.  When we got back to the cart someone from our old church (whom I hadn't seen in a year) was standing with Mia and the cart (along with their shopping friend).  It was nice that she stood with Mia but how many times do I have to look ridiculous as a mother before I have learned or paid my dues to the club of humiliation or both?
I guess my only comfort is that it keeps me humble and even Paul had a thorn in his flesh.  When he asked God to take it away all God said was, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9).