Saturday, December 26, 2009

Jesus ~ Being Thankful Day 13




For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son that whosoever believed in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life  (John 3:16).
Jason came home from school one day very excited,  "You lied mom, Santa is too real.  He came to school today!"
Some people like to let their children believe in Santa Claus.  To them it gives Christmas a magical feeling.  I grew up in a home where there was definitely no question that Santa was not real and my siblings and I were probably those annoying children who ruined it for other children.  (Sorry about that :)).   Now that we have children the discussion usually comes up, 'how are we going to handle Santa Claus?'  I have heard from some that when they found out that Santa wasn't real it was really traumatic for them.  They were crushed that their parents would lie to them.  On the other hand there are those who just grow out of it and are not traumatized in any way.  For myself I just don't think that I could tell my child that Santa is real. I just can't.  But in trying to be honest with my child I have already been accused of lying to him because in the world we live in Santa is everywhere.  Even though we don't pretend that Santa doesn't exist we don't want our Christmas to be focused on a jolly man with a beard and belly dressed in a red suit; it's just not as great as hearing the wonderful story of the birth of a baby.
This time of year is so fun to get together with family, to give gifts and to receive gifts, but I am so thankful that God made this wonderful plan to send Jesus to save the world from itself.  For me it makes Christmas so much more special to know that there is a God who loves me so much he would sacrifice his one and only son so that I can go to heaven when I die.